of Trevilian Station,
PRESIDENTS COLUMN UPDATE
Park Day Update
Today April 6, 2019 was our annual Park Day where we worked around the circa 1846 Trevilian House. While the ladies did cleaning inside and the men did some outside work, the work crew was very small. The most notable event of the day was an historic piano that was generously donated to TSBF by Robert Moss of Richmond. The monster took three struggling men to load and five to get it into the house. Now for the amazing history.
This piano was at Clifton, a manor home that General Grant used as his headquarters on the night before General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia. Grant was upstairs trying to sleep with a headache while his staff banged away on the piano downstairs. Grant was apparently tolerant at first, but finally told them to keep the fuss quiet and stop playing the piano according to Shelby Foote. At the Appomattox battlefield, there is an ivory key from the piano with the complete story. The historic instrument is now in our possession and is a significant piece of American History.
The Trevilian House recently had its leaking metal roof stripped, sealed, and repainted. This was quite an expensive proposition to have it replaced, and we found that it was structurally sound and only needed attention to the tune of $8000.00. Please stop by to see our beautiful green roof. You may check on Thursdays if in the area to see if the house is open. If the open sign is out along Rts. 22/33, Ed and Charlaine Crebbs, along with Pat Baber, are volunteering to open it to the public. Please come and see that all of the rooms have been restored with period colors and furnishings. It looks great and the tour is free!
Gerald “Jerry” Harlow, President TSBF
Trevilian Station Battlefield Foundation, Inc.